The start of December in the Southern hemisphere means only one thing, summer! In summer, Australians bask in long, golden days. In Melbourne, our city kicks up its heels from first light until late.
Start your day off with some brunch in the abundance of cafes we have, stumble across a market or random festival, check out an art show at a gallery, then spend the rest of your day and evening grabbing drinks and dinner at our award-winning restaurants. If you haven’t had enough, do it all over again the next day to see new and totally different Melbourne experiences. Discover the great life outdoors in Melbourne this summer.
Of course, summer also means beach days. We may not be known for our famous beaches, but we do still have good beaches to enjoy. Grab some fish n chips and take a stroll down the bay, Port Melbourne to Black Rock. Or if you enjoy surfing, head down to Torquay’s, Bells’ Beach or take a road trip down the Great Ocean Road and enjoy the scenery, a swim and even some beautiful waterfalls in that region. Summer is all about relaxing, road trips and sharing food with friends and family.
Below are our recommendations of activities and things to do (socially distanced of course) this summer in Victoria:
- Visit the NGV (National Gallery of Victoria) to see a showcase of a wide range of art shows and the best part is they’re sometimes even free!
- Drive to the Yarra Valley Wine region for some wine tastings and lunch then visit the Yarra Valley Chocolatery for some dessert and ice cream
- Shop for some fresh produce at our markets; South Melbourne market, Queen Victoria Market and Prahran market
- Head to the Mornington Peninsula and enjoy some famous vanilla slice in Sorrento and then go for a swim at any of the beautiful pristine waters the Peninsula has to offer
- Hike the Dandenong Ranges and enjoy the fresh, crisp air before driving to Mount Dandenong for a stunning sunset 360 viewing of Melbourne
- Drive down the Great Ocean Rd for a day trip. Visit the 12 Apostles, hike to see some waterfalls and explore the great region
- Gather your friends, picnic rugs and your Picnic Street Picnic Hampers and spend your day in our luscious, green gardens we have throughout our beautiful city
However you choose to spend your day, or whatever activity you choose to do this summer, just know that here at Picnic Street we have your best interests in mind and have made your life easier by preparing Picnic hampers for you to enjoy any place, any time. Shop at Picnic St today delivered straight from us to your door.